I really had a difficult
time reading this play and trying to keep a track of all the characters.
I had to keep looking back and forth and rereading it, to keep everything
intact. To cut down on this, I ended up reading the modern version alongside
the textbook version. (Drama) I was reminded of how if a daughter from a middle
eastern custom doesn't obey her father he has the right to kill her, such as
the case with Hermia to her Father Egeus. It was interesting to see how even
back then young women protested an arranged marriage. I would believe that
would be going against Sharia law today and the father could carry out an
"Honor Killing." What an awful option to be given to Hermia to live
single like a nun or die a barren virgin. I like the way she stood her ground
and decided that her soul didn't even give her permission to marry Demetrius
and she was content to remain a virgin or die. Well, this is a first, to see
that there is a play taking place within a play as part of the wedding
celebration for the Duke. As I read the character bottom is to play, a
Lover that will kill himself for love, I'm wondering if Demetrius will kill
himself for the love of Hermia. I think it's very ironic this play “A
Midsummers Night’s Dream” is about couples in love and the play within is about
two people in love with a fantasy of fairies. I'm also able to see how Titiana,
The Queen of the Fairies speaks to Oberon, King of the Fairies and paints a
picture of what their surroundings likes while they're dancing in Fairyland. So
now, I’m seeing that the fairy character Oberon can see and interact with
Hermia, Demetrius, Lysander and Helena. I believe the structure of the plot is
where the play “A Midsummers Night’s Dream" is the solution to the
unrequited love of the two characters Demetrius and Helena whose love is
being rejected. Cupid's arrow and Oberon's flowers can be given to the
recipients that want love so desperately. It also looks like there's three
scenes with three separate sets of characters are taking part in this play when
Peter Quinces' part comes to light. It looks like Peter Quince and his
characters are trying to overcome their staging and design issues. It also
looks like they're trying to overcome their storyline in order to avoid scaring
the women that will be in the audience viewing the play. So, it looks like the
solution to getting someone to fall in love worked with Tatiana the fairy and Bottom
who had the head of a donkey. When the fairies come on the scene, it looks so magical,
mystical and whimsical! It seems like this play, "A Midsummer Night's
Dream” is not a comedy, but really a tragedy. There's more sadness than
laughter coming out of this play. This is a real twist for both men to end up
being in love with Helena. I’m sure that Hermia really became confused to find
her Lysander and Demetrius has fallen in love with Helena from the love flower
Juice. Since everyone is sleeping and this is called, “A Midsummer Night’s I'm
wondering is this a dream for all of them or a nightmare?
No comments:
Post a Comment